The Boomerang phrase sampler, made famous by guitarists like Trey Anastasio & John Scofield, has come a long way over the years. The looping capabilities have grown from the original Boomerang, to the Boomerang +, to the Boomerang III. We here at Six String Soul have owned all three, and must say that the latest Boomerang version (III) is the most capable Boomerang yet.
Boomerang III Phrase Sampler
Boomerang III Side Car
Boomerang III Features
Boasting the ability to run 3 or 4 loops, the Boomerang III offers a plethora of features that we love, including:
- Stacking – This feature adds additional parts to a loop (There is no limit to the madness).
- Undo/Redo – This allows you to mute or re-record the last stacked part.
- Erase – This enables you to erase single loops or all loops at once.
- Copy Loop – Whether the loop is playing or not, you’re able to copy a full loop.
- Copy Live – Bringing DJ style to the guitarist, this feature is essentially “re-sampling,” which pushes the output of the pedal into a new loop.
- Octave – This feature will play your loop at half speed, and also an octave lower.
- Reverse – This feature will play the loop in reverse. Great for creating hypnotic loop textures.
- Once – With this feature, your loop will simply play one time through and then stop.
- Stutter – This feature also brings the DJ world to guitar, allowing you to quickly start a loop over (like scratching a record)
- Fade – loop(s) fades in or out with one button press; fade time can be 3 to 43 seconds.
- Reverse Solo – This feature will repeat what you play (in real time) in reverse for that classic backwards guitar sound. Think the Beatles’ Revolver album.
- Sample Rates – The Boomerang III offers both 48KHz or 24KHz. Both sample rates use 20 bit samples, and the through-signal is nothing but 48KHz / 24 bits.
- Thru Mute Function – This feature turns off the direct signal of your guitar. Note: this feature is always engaged when using the Reverse Solo mode. There is no way to keep your direct signal, which would be more of a reverse delay effect.
- Expression Pedal Jack – This jack allows you to connect an expression pedal to control overall playback volume or Decay Rate with your foot.
The Boomerang III is also able to be used with a Side Car, made by Boomerang, which is a separate unit that allows for additional features to be accessed at the touch of a button.
Essential Boomerang Links
Keep exploring back at the Guitar Effects Directory.